So, I had a weird error with MySQL 5.6 Win 64 server. Every time I tried to insert a record, I got an error that a field didn’t have a default value. I was using Apache OpenOffice, with an ODBC driver, but the same underlying problem occurred with MySQL WorkBench, so it was a MySQL server issue, not a client or driver issue. The funny thing was that the field in question was the primary key, and was an “auto-increment” field. Hence, no default value can be provided. I couldn’t fix it, until I removed the auto-increment attribute for the field in the table. Saved. Then, added it back. Magically, it worked.